Simple URI-based content filter
This is a simple, fast ad blocker module that works by blocking requests to domains that only serve advertisements. It does not currently do any form of cosmetic ad blocking (i.e. element hiding with CSS).
- You can allow specific content to be loaded if it is inadvertently
blocked: simply add whitelisting rules formed by
@@and the pattern to allow.
- Supports multiple filter list files.
- Filter files can be enabled, disabled and reloaded from disk without restarting luakit.
- A configuration chrome page is provided by
require "adblock_chrome"to your
- Download AdblockPlus-compatible filter lists to the adblock directory. Multiple lists are supported. EasyList is the most popular Adblock Plus filter list, and can be downloaded from https://easylist.to/.
- Filter lists downloaded to the adblock directory must have a
filename ending in
.txtin order to be loaded.
- Filter lists need to be updated regularly (~weekly), use cron!
If ad blocking is not working as expected, the easiest way to determine
what is happening is to set the appropriate log levels to
If a filterlist is not being loaded for some reason, start luakit with the following:
If a filterlist is not behaving correctly, by blocking too much or too little, start luakit with the following:
Files and Directories
- All filterlists should be downloaded to the adblock data directory (~/.local/share/luakit/adblock)
By default, this is the
adblocksub-directory of the luakit data directory. All filterlists must have a filename ending in
Load filter list files, and refresh any adblock pages that are open.
trueif all subscriptions already loaded should be fully reloaded.
single_listType: stringSingle list file.
trueif subscriptions should not be synchronized to the web process.
Enable or disable an adblock filter list.
aType: number or stringThe number of the list to enable or disable.
Whitelist accessing a blocked domain for the current session.
domainType: stringThe domain to whitelist.
truewill enable ad blocking, while setting it to
falsewill disable ad blocking.
- 2010 Chris van Dijk
- 2010 Mason Larobina
- 2012 Plaque FCC